Address: San Domenico - Fiesole
The roads that lead from Florence to the hill of Fiesole all
converge on the plateau where the church of San Domenico stands,
annexed to the convent which was founded in 1406. The Renaissance
layout of the building was transformed between the end of the
16th and the beginning of the 17th century by Dosio (tribune and
choir) and Matteo Nigetti (porch on the facade and bell tower).
The complex contains a wealth of works of art: outstandings are
various paintings by Fra Angelico, who sojourned in the convent.
Saint Antonine, Bishop of Florence in the first half of the 15th
century, also stayed there, and that Fra Domenico Buonvicini who
was burned at the stake with Savonarola in 1498.