Address: Via Faenza, 42
The Cenacolo di Foligno is located in the ex-convent of the
Tertiary Franciscans of Foligno, transformed into the
"Conservatory of poor and honest girls" in 1980 after
the transfer of the nuns.
The fresco (measuring 4.40 x 8 metres) was rediscovered in 1845
and attributed at first to Raphael, but recent critics have
unanimously agreed it was the work of Pietro Vannucci, known as
Il Perugino (1445/50-1623), dating it between 1493-96. The idea
has also been advanced that it was painted over another fresco of
the same theme by Neri di Bicci (1419-1491). This work can be
regarded as one of the most important examples of Umbrian culture
of the Renaissance of which Perugino, Raphaels's master, was one
of the most serene and magnificent masters.