Address: Via Oriuolo, 4
The Museum of "Firenze com'era" (Florence as it was)
is situated in the exconvent of the Pious Oblate Sisters.
Although opened in 1956, its rich collections of historic and
iconographic documentation date from the nineteenth century. The
initial core of this historic topographic museum located in Casa Buonarroti
drew on the Uffizi
drawings and paintings and
documented mainly Florence's years as Capital of Italy and the
demolition of the ancient city centre using drawings,
watercolours, engravings and early photographs. It was then
gradually amplified to include the history and appearance of
Florence back to its beginnings. The augmentation and alteration
of the exhibits have resulted in structural enlargements
rendering the present accommodation inadequate.
For this reason we give a summary description, mentioning only
the finest pieces of the collection. Among the views and plans of
the city the most important is that called "della
Catena", a perfect nineteenth century reproduction of the
original in the Kaiser Friedrich Museum in Berlin. In the other
sections are shown views of Florence in oil and tempera and some
typical scenes mostly relating to the eighteenth and nineteenth
centuries. The twelve famous lunettes by Justus Utens (1599)
showing the Medici villas are displayed side by side with other
views including the etchings of Telemaco Signorini (1835-1901).
Also shown are the famous etchings by Giuseppe Zocchi (1744) with
the views of the churches, places and villas of Florence.
One section is dedicated to drawings and projects for the
enlargement and alteration of the city after 1865 by the
architect and urban planner Giuseppe Poggi (1811-1901).
The filing archive is open for consultation.