Address: Via XXVII Aprile, 1
The first Renaissance refectory in Florence is that of the
Benedictine nuns of Sant'Apollonia, created at the finest moments
of the convent in about 1445.
The end wall of the refectory (measuring 9.75 x 9.10 metres) was
then covered with frescoes, but it was not known for a long time
because of the nun's strict clausura. The suppression of the
convent in 1860 revealed the Last
(the upper part had been whitewashed), which was
initially attributed to Paolo Uccello then to the real author
Andrea del Castagno (1421-1457).
Above the Last Supper are represented the Resurrection, the
Crucifixion and Entombment of Christ. At the time of restoration
in 1952 the three scenes were removed to be preserved at the same
time recovering their splendid sinopiates.