Address: Piazza SS. Annunziata
Originally an oratory (1250) of the Order of the Servi di
Maria, the building stood outside the second circle of city walls. Between 1444 and 1481 Michelozzo, Pagno
Portinari and Antonio Manetti (with suggestions from L.B.
Alberti) remodelled it into its present form.
The facade has a portico on Corinthian columns. The central
portal leads to the Chiostrino dei Voti (1447), a particularly
scenographic space with lunettes frescoed by Rosso Fiorentino,
Pontormo, Andrea del Sarto (1511-13).
The interior, remodelled in
the middle of the 17th century, has a single large nave with the
arched openings of the chapels set on either side. To be noted is
Volterrano's magnificent coffered ceiling (1664). Entrance to the
Chiostro dei Morti (1453) with frescoes by Poccetti is to the
left of the transept.