Address: Via Calzaiuoli
loggia used as a grain market (built by Arnolfo di Cambio, 1290),
it was destroyed in a fire in 1304. Rebuilt in 1337 (the work of
Francesco Talenti, Neri di Fioravante and Neri di Cione), between
1380 and 1404 the structure was transformed into a church.
austere lines of the large cubic building (with the arcading
serving as a base) are softened by the late Gothic marble
decoration. The upper part is in pietra forte with two tiers of
large twolight openings.
Niches and tabernacles with statues are
set into the outer walls (particularly famous are Ghiberti's St.
John the Baptist, 1414-16; Verrocchio's St. Thomas, 1464-83;
Nanni di Banco's Four Crowned Martyrs, 1408; the copy of
Donatello's St. George, 1416). Inside the church is the imposing
Tabernacle by Orcagna, in flamboyant Gothic style (1355-59).