Address: Piazza S. Ambrogio
Sant'Ambrogio was one of the first religious buildings to go
up in Florence. Rebuilt in the 13th century and again more
recently, the present facade is 19th century.
The interior, 18th-century on an originally Gothic ground plan,
is single-aisled with three chapels at the back and eight
Renaissance side altars. There were originally a group of 14th-
and 15th-century frescoes near the altars but they were seriously
damaged in the flood of 1966 and were therefore detaches. Near
the Presbytery is the Cappella del Miracolo with a 15th-century
Tabernacle of the Holy Sacrament which contains the blood which
miraculously appeared in the chalice of a priest, Uguccione, as
he was celebrating Mass. The tabernacle which contains the
reliquary is by Mino da Fiesole (1481-83); the angels nearby in
terracotta are by the Della Robbia while the frescoes on the
walls are 15th-century paintings by Cosimo Roselli.